Old Norse Tongue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to revive, restore and reconstruct the Old Norse tongue!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pronunciation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
* Faroese Speaker *
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði

Pronunciation Empty
PostSubject: Pronunciation   Pronunciation EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 8:29 pm

So, seeing as we don't have any actual Norsemen to speak to, how would we go about pronouncing this language? Currently, when I read it, I go for the general Icelandic pronunciation (invariable influenced by Faroese though)

For example:
ð as the good old dental fricative
something like “garpur”, I would pronounce “garsh-pur” (with a special Faroese-style ‘ur’ sounds which I currently have no way of typing haha)

How would one actually say it? I've learnt Old English pronunciation, so I'm sure I could fit this in too Wink
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Pronunciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pronunciation   Pronunciation EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Well we don't have any surviving Norsemen of the time, no... but what we do have, are the brilliant minds of linguists and archaeologists [ myself included. Wink ] and we can quite accurately reconstruct a system of Old Norse pronunciation based on various sources...

1) The rune carvings can shed light on to the phonemic qualities of spellings using the Roman alphabet.
2) Close examination of Old English, and Latin and other languages at the time can show how the Roman alphabet
would have been adapted for use with Old Norse.
3) Diachronistic study of Icelandic, Faroese and Norwegian can also give help in understanding how the pronunciation
developed which can show a lot about what it would have been originally.

I am confident in one particular system of pronunciation which is the result of 200 years of research. The pronunciation featured
in "A New Introduction To Old Norse I by Michael Barnes"

For those unfortunate enough not to own a copy, I may try and create a full guide, based on that and perhaps expanding on other points... I think it would be useful to have recorded pronunciations of words... I may try recording a few. Smile

But it's not that much like modern Faroese or Icelandic unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
https://oldnorse.forumotion.com
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
* Faroese Speaker *
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði

Pronunciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pronunciation   Pronunciation EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 3:18 pm

I thought so ; ) it would be nice to know how to say things!
Back to top Go down
Agnarr
Stranger - Útlendingr

Pronunciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pronunciation   Pronunciation EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:30 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new here and new to ON. I studied some modern Icelandic while I was deployed, but didn't get too far. My reason for reviving this thread is to let you know that I have a PDF of "A New Introduction To Old Norse I by Michael Barnes": part 1 and 2. Not sure if there is a file section, but I don't mind sharing it. Also, I have just started reading "Old Icelandic: An Introductory course" by Sigrid Valfells and James E. Cathey. Is this one worth the while? What is the difference between saga age Old Icelandic and viking age Old Norse. Should I start with Barnes' book first.

Thanks in advance,
Agnarr

Also, a recorded pronunciation would help enormously! I'm no linguist, after all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pronunciation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pronunciation   Pronunciation Empty

Back to top Go down

Pronunciation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Norse Tongue :: Old Norse - Norrœna :: General - Almenniligr-
Jump to: