Old Norse Tongue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to revive, restore and reconstruct the Old Norse tongue!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc. Empty
PostSubject: Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc.   Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc. EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Looking at some words for table-ware. Some are from Zoëga so those will be fine, but the invented terms need to be discussed.
Although I have suggested other modern meanings for some traditional Norse words. As with the adaption of "vagn" (wagon) to meaning "car". This adaption of meaning should also be discussed.

Words from Zoëga... (note: m stands for masculine, f for feminine, n for neuter, 1 for 1st declension, 2 for 2nd declension, 3 for 3rd declension and so forth. W for weak declension)

borðbúnaðr (m1) - table-ware
diskr (m1) - plate, dish
borð (n1) - table
knífr (m1) - knife
spánn (m3) - spoon
borðdiskr (m1) - table-plate
borðknífr (m1) - table-knife
borðspánn (m3) - table-spoon
kalkr (m1) - drinking-cup, goblet
koppr (m1) - cup
bikarr (m1) - large-drinking cup, beaker, (I propose the extra meaning of "mug")
skál (f1) - bowl
askr (m1) - wooden vessel/bowl, Norse measurement equal to 4 bollar, or 16 justur.
bolli (mw) - small vessel, bowl, 1/4 of Norse measurement Askr. (I propose the word can refer to the modern measurement of "1 cup". I own a wooden askr used for re-enactment purposes, and I find it holds 4 cups, so thus 1 bolli must be equal to 1 cup)
justa (fw) - small cup, Norse measurement of 1/4 of bolli, 1/16 of askr. (I can fit 4 shot-glasses worth of fluid into a cup, so perhaps "justa" could be adapted for the added meaning of "shot glass"?)
horn (n1) - horn
drykkjarhorn (n1) - drinking-horn
borðdúkr (m1) - table-cloth
kerti (n2) - candle
leðrflaska (fw) - leather-bottle (I suggest also, the use of the word "flaska" as referring to any bottle)
pottr (m1) - pot
ampli (mw) - jug

My suggested terms...

Since the Norse mostly ate with knives and spoons, without forks, the only word for fork is applied to one used for agriculture. The notion of dining with a 5 foot long pitchfork is utterly ridiculous, so we need a standard word for a fork used for eating.
The modern Icelandic word for fork is "gaffall" and Norwegian, Swedish and Danish use "gaffel" all of these are borrowed from the Low Saxon "gaffel" which comes from Old Saxon "gafala". It's a complicated issue, since the Norse didn't use forks... but if they did, we could imagine that the word would have descended from the Proto-Germanic as it did into Old Saxon. I doubt there would have been a likely borrowing from Saxon so we have to look at the Proto-Germanic.
The Proto-Germanic word is "gabaló" which descends into Old Saxon "gafala", in Old Norse it seems it would most likely have developed into "gafal" as a feminine 1st declension noun. (cf. Proto-Germanic gebó into Norse gjöf).
So...

gafal (f1) - fork
glerkalkr (m1) - wine glass (literally: glass-goblet)
drykkjargler (n1) - glass (literally: drinking-glass, apparently a few glass drinking vessels existed, some found in Birka, Sweden, but as far as I am aware, no words survive in literature to suggest an appropriate term, glass in the Norse age mostly existed in small pieces, often as beads for decorative purposes, so it needs the defining "drykkjar" to outline its purpose)
hornbikarr (m1) - horn-mug (needed only because I own one. :P Can be bought from www.jelldragon.com I believe)
borðskauti (mw) - napkin (literally: table-kerchief)
hornhaldari (mw) - horn-holder/horn-stand (again, needed only because one of my horns has a stand)
tebolli (mw) - teacup (again to reinforce the idea of bolli being equal to a cup)
tepottr (m1) - teapot
tespánn (m3) - teaspoon (to differentiate from borðspánn - table-spoon)
tebikarr (m1) - mug (already suggested bikarr as mug, perhaps tebikarr can be more specifically a mug, where as bikarr is a looser term)
undirskál (f1) - saucer (literally: under-bowl, since it is a bowl to go under a cup: had previously been listed as undirdiskr, but due to undirskál being used in both modern Icelandic and Faroese, there could be perhaps connotations of diskr that are inappropriate for a saucer)
saltkastari (mw) - salt-shaker (literally: salt-caster/thrower)
piparkastari (mw) - pepper-shaker (literally: pepper-caster/thrower)
flaska (fw) - bottle (already mentioned above)
diskrekkja (fw) - placemat (literally: plate-bed, since it is a place for the plate to lie)
ǫlrekkja (fw) - coaster (literally: ale-bed/beer-bed, taking the idea of "beer-mat")

Please anyone say if any words have been left out, any corrections, suggestions, thoughts, ideas etc. Any input is all going to help the project. Smile Thank you.

Last edited by Sveinn on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : History correction.)
Back to top Go down
https://oldnorse.forumotion.com
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

PostSubject: Re: Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc.   Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc. EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 2:49 pm

The more I think about it, the more "kastari" sounds like a launcher, as if throwing salt is some kind of bizarre weapon...

Maybe saltdreifari (mw) would be more appropriate... as "Dreifari" is a scatterer... from Dreifa - to scatter...
Scattering salt is more appropriate I'm sure... and Pipardreifari also.
Back to top Go down
Samitheyoung
Stranger - Útlendingr

PostSubject: Good terms   Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc. EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 10:01 pm

I have no problem with these words Smile
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

PostSubject: Re: Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc.   Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc. EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Please everyone, I need feedback on these words. Suggestions, issues, problems with words. Any comments, positive or negative. Smile All to improve the legitimacy and accuracy of our project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc.   Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc. Empty

Back to top Go down

Table-ware! Words to do with setting a table, dining etc.
Page 1 of 1