Old Norse Tongue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to revive, restore and reconstruct the Old Norse tongue!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Grammer issue

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Geist
Stranger - Útlendingr

Grammer issue Empty
PostSubject: Grammer issue   Grammer issue EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 5:00 am

I've been picking up some words and phrases from Old Norse but I can't seem to locate how the grammer would go in certain situations like putting the adjective at the end of a name. For example, how would you say Michael the Stubborn"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Geist
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Grammer issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammer issue   Grammer issue EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 3:46 am

You mean as a nickname? Smile

Well, you find your word... a good word for stubborn is "þrálátr" and the stem of that word is þrálát-
Usually in nicknames they have an I at the end...
So "þráláti"

Mikjáll Þráláti or if you preferred Mikjáll hinn Þráláti - Michael the Stubborn.
Back to top Go down
https://oldnorse.forumotion.com
Geist
Stranger - Útlendingr

Grammer issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammer issue   Grammer issue EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 8:17 am

Thank you for the quick reply. It was just something that came up that interested me. While reading I noticed that some nicknames had the hinn while others didn't, and kind of trying to figure out why. For example Gorm the Old is Gormr gamli but Erik the Red is
Eirīkr hinn rauði. Another example, Ulf the Quarrelsome is Ulf Hreda (I don't think this last example is old Norse though)

I may be just looking too deep into this Smile
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Grammer issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammer issue   Grammer issue EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 10:25 am

Well "hinn" is just the definite article... it's most commonly seen on the ends of words...

Úlfr - wolf, Úlfrinn - the wolf.
Maðr - man, Maðrinn - the wolf.

You could just translate it as "the".
Well, I'd say it isn't important whether a name has it or not, I guess it just depends on what has the best ring to it.
I have found that it seems "hinn" is far more commonly used for simple nicknames, nicknames of one adjective... The Old, The Red, The Black, The Grey, The Wise, The Lucky, The Mild...

But more complicated nicknames based on a story or something very specific won't have "hinn"... such as Snake-in-the-eye, Fairhair, Bloodaxe, Forkbeard, Hairy-breeches, Bluetooth. etc.

The last one would be Úlfr if it was Norse, that must be a modern Scandinavian spelling of the original Norse.
Back to top Go down
Geist
Stranger - Útlendingr

Grammer issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammer issue   Grammer issue EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 7:32 am

How would Þráláti be spelled in english? I'm guessing Thralati? I'm also guessing that the pronounciation would be Th-rowl-ow-ti. Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Grammer issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammer issue   Grammer issue EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 2:19 pm

If you wanted an Anglicised form then yes, you are right, it would be Thralati. But the pronunciation would only be Throwlowti if you are speaking Icelandic. Though some people do actually use Icelandic pronunciation when speaking Old Norse, most do and should use the reconstructed pronunciation of Old Norse (and some argue that it's just guess work, BUT if you actually know the processes involved in calculating what sounds written Old Norse represented, then you'd know it's highly logical and accurate. Very Happy) Anyway... in Old Norse "Þráláti" would be Thrah-lah-ti. An Á in Old Norse is like the "a" in "father". And without the accent it would be a shorter form, the same as in Icelandic. It's only that in modern Icelandic the á changed from a longer "a" sound to an "au" or "ow" sound.
Back to top Go down
Geist
Stranger - Útlendingr

Grammer issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammer issue   Grammer issue EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Sveinn, I know its been quite some time, but I just wanted to say thank you for the information you provided.

Ulfr hinn Thralati
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grammer issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammer issue   Grammer issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Grammer issue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Norse Tongue :: Old Norse - Norrœna :: Grammar-
Jump to: