Old Norse Tongue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to revive, restore and reconstruct the Old Norse tongue!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Heeeiiii...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Heeeiiii... Empty
PostSubject: Heeeiiii...   Heeeiiii... EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:28 pm

How's everyone doing? Any interesting news? Cool
Back to top Go down
https://oldnorse.forumotion.com
Kvífa Úlfheiðr Djármadagr
Stranger - Útlendingr

Heeeiiii... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heeeiiii...   Heeeiiii... EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 pm

I am doing great, today I am doing some troll cave *winter* cleaning! I am happy because I have a new telefaen :P What is the ON word for mobile phone/PDA anyway? Also I am having loads of comments on how good my new website is! Very Happy So glad!

How are YOU doing?

Kvifa pig I also just dicovered the pig emote pig = Happy Kvifa
Back to top Go down
http://www.plutoniumforge.com
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Heeeiiii... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heeeiiii...   Heeeiiii... EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Awesome! I wish I had a new telefaen, stuck with the same mobile for years and years. :P
The Old Norse word for phone isn't something we've discussed as a group yet... I've looked at it before... but in my current knowledge of Norse I would suggest "Fjartalari" or "Farfjartalari" for a mobile. Smile PDA sounds like it would be complicated and I'm not going to look at it at the moment. Maybe later.

I'm awesome except that my flat is having a damp problem... can't get the place ventilated in winter. v_v

Don't forget the Old Norse keyboard can put that "í" in your name for you. Or if you forget how to use it, English keyboards can use "í" by holding Alt-Gr and typing "i".

And I believe I put in the pig emoticon just for you. XD
Back to top Go down
Stranger - Útlendingr

Heeeiiii... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heeeiiii...   Heeeiiii... EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 6:17 pm

I get mine on contract, I know I cant afford much but to be honest my ex used to cost me more than my current contract (£26) the stupid bastard. That sounds good, but many languages just use 'handy' so maybe we could come up with one like that for slang Smile

Epicness on the pig emote. I am on an iMac and the keyboard you sent me doesn't work xD also if I type that I just get ^ haha. I can use Faeroese and icelandic keyboards, is it on there? well most phones are PDAs nowadays, so we could just say phone.

I am going to see that bloody church woman soon (in 30 mins), my heart is jumping in my chest >Sad

about the flat, complain to the environmental health agency, if you have complained to the landlord or estate agents and nothing has been done. You can a bairn and you have asthma too so you could get it sorted. If you need help I will be on hand.

Can you text me on my new number I gave it to Aska, I can then save your number as I am bored with setting it all up. It's on charge at the moment but I will check it when I return from hel.

Kvifa

Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Heeeiiii... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heeeiiii...   Heeeiiii... EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Well, at least my 'phone just about works still. :P And app-lovers can shove them up their arses, because all my 'phone can do is calls and texts... with some music on there and a poor camera, and a simple calculator... more than I need! More than anyone needs aswell really...

In that case I don't know how to help you... but hopefully Icelandic will do... though you will have to suffer with "ö" instead of the traditional hook. :P

Bloody church woman... v_v... Burn it down. Smile

Well, I'm going to see what the estate agents can do about it... they're supposed to be calling me back. Thanks for the support, systir mín.

Right... well if I can't find a word in Norse or I know there won't be one, then I have a hierarchy of languages to get influence from to coin a new word. Icelandic first.
Icelandic for mobile is "Farsími" (meaning driving-phone) (sími from archaic Icelandic "síma" meaning cord). Since the Norsemen are just being introduced to the concept of cars having to call them free-wagons or just wagons... frjálsvagn, and vagn... they're not going to appreciate the history of a mobile's original use for a car... so that's out. Thus, I take back my previous suggestion of Farfjartalari.
Faroese is "Fartelefon"... again "driving-telephone"... not appropriate.
Norwegian nynorsk and bokmal, Danish and German are all "Mobiltelefon", and Swedish as "Mobiltelefoni". Most of which also include "Mobil" as the shortened most commonly used term.
None are appropriate, and as far as I can see only German uses "Handy".
There is a Low Saxon word as "Sackfoohn" (meaning pocket-phone)
Dutch is "Mobiele telefoon" (or just mobiel or mobieltje)
Frisian is "Mobile telefoan" (or mobyl or mobyltsje)
study
The only place where I could find anything appropriate was the lovely guys on the Old English wikipedia page who are doing something similar to this project, except it seems just to be compiling modern ideas with Old English terms and definitions, not bringing the language back from the dead. Now they had Feorrspreca as telephone (Far-speaker), whence I made the term "Fjartalari". Mobile they had as "Handspreca", so I'm thinking "Handartalari"... and so I guess maybe "Handi" could be a very slangy term as a weak masculine noun. But if people liked the sound of Farfjartalari... then it could be Ferðfjartalari (travel-phone).

And PDA I will venture as "Lófatöluvölva" or "Lófatölva" (palm-computer). Very Happy Same rules with Töluvölva. Töluvölva as the preferred term, Tölva as the slangy term for those who really can't be bothered with the full term. :P
Back to top Go down
Stranger - Útlendingr

Heeeiiii... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heeeiiii...   Heeeiiii... EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Yea, I do agree, but to be honest my contract will cost just as much for a standard phone than a smart phone, and being a business woman I need to check my e-mail all the time. So it helps. I am keeping my old number as pay as you go, and using a standard phone for that number.

Icelandic usually helps with old English so yea I guess I can make do :P

In the end the church thing wasn't that bad, the woman we had this time was really down to earth (Thank the Gods) although I worked myself up so much about the meeting I managed to give myself hives D: itchy as hel. Speaking of burning churches down, I can't defeat this vampyre on Runescape. GAH.

Yeah if they don't phone you by 3pm phone them again, you need to keep on their case XD piss them off enough and they will help you just to get rid of you.

In Finnish the general slang word for phone is käsi (handy). however we appear to be on the right lines, with Ferðfjartalari.

You still have not text me. I just a ate crab sandwich, it was quite ... interesting haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heeeiiii... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heeeiiii...   Heeeiiii... Empty

Back to top Go down

Heeeiiii...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Norse Tongue :: Chilling Lounge - Skemtanarstofa-
Jump to: