Old Norse Tongue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to revive, restore and reconstruct the Old Norse tongue!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

'...son' vs. '...sen'

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WHOA!-din
Stranger - Útlendingr

'...son' vs. '...sen' Empty
PostSubject: '...son' vs. '...sen'   '...son' vs. '...sen' EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 5:11 am

Heil, everyone! This is my first post on TNT and kudos on the community, and its efforts! My interest in viking age Norse customs lead me here, and was more than obliged to register.

Now, the post: I was wondering if someone could either confirm or debunk something for me. I was once told by a co-worker that surnames which end in "son" (Hudson, Henderson, Jackson) atypically are originated in their ancestry from the Swedish side of the border, whereas names ending in "sen" (Hudsen, Hendersen, Jacksen) hail from the Danish side of the border. Is this generally true?
Back to top Go down
Kviskrar
Stranger - Útlendingr

PostSubject: Re: '...son' vs. '...sen'   '...son' vs. '...sen' EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 am

Heill!
(first post here too Smile )

About your question;
I guess everyone knows this, but Scandinavians used to use their father's name, adding "-son" (or -dóttir for women) as a last name. I belive I read that this is still the case, or was until recently, in Iceland. It just means "son of" or "daughter of". Later, the language changed, and many "-son" became "-sen"

The most common occurence (by far) of "-son" endings is in Sweden, and I guess having such a last name is, if not a proof, then at least a strong indication that one's ancestry is swedish.

However, the "-sen" ending is by no means limited to Denmark. My last name, for example, is "Eilertsen" and the family has lived in northern Norway (near Tromsø) for several hundred years; the original "Eilert" was born around 1200. So one's name ending in "-sen" is by no means a proof of Danish ancestry.
Back to top Go down
Norsedisciple
Stranger - Útlendingr

PostSubject: name meanings   '...son' vs. '...sen' EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:40 am

Heil,
I just joined this group in hopes to advance my desires to learn Old Norse,preferably East Dialect as I have Danish ancestors and Petersen is my Grandmother’s maiden name.
Lam is my Great-Great Grandma’s maiden name and Moeller my Great-Great-Great Grandma’s maiden name
I have done some genealogy work and have noticed the datter as part of a last name not to mention the sen in Petersen,though I am not sure that this is part of the name forming
mentioned. I am Vilhjálmr,Mange Tak
Back to top Go down
Norsedisciple
Stranger - Útlendingr

PostSubject: Re: '...son' vs. '...sen'   '...son' vs. '...sen' EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:48 am

well maybe, I grew up on Carlsen rd.If this is a name forming method,where and when did it originate…………...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '...son' vs. '...sen'   '...son' vs. '...sen' Empty

Back to top Go down

'...son' vs. '...sen'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Norse Tongue :: Old Norse - Norrœna :: General - Almenniligr-
Jump to: