Old Norse Tongue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to revive, restore and reconstruct the Old Norse tongue!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Empty
PostSubject: Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!   Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 2:24 am

I remember my trip to Mæshowe...
The sight I was to behold... so many runic inscriptions. Some enlightening... and some hilarious!
The rune carvings in Mæshowe really warm the heart as you learn how 1000 years makes no difference... human beings have always been the same... nothing ever changes. Haha...

Here are a few...

Mæshowe Runes
1)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-1-Maeshowe-I
Transliteration: þat ir uikin=kr ... –a= =kom utir hir til
Transcription: Þat er víkingr ... [þ]á kom undir hér til.
Translation: That is a Viking… then came here underneath.

2)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-2-Maeshowe-gravkammer-II
?o=lfr ko=lbæins so=nr ræest= =ru=nar þesa=r haut
Eyjúlfr Kolbeins sonr reist rúnar þessar hátt.
Eyjulfr Kolbeinn's son carved these runes high.

3)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-3-Maeshowe-gravkammer-III
þorer fomir
Þórir fómir

4)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-4-Maeshowe-gravkammer-IV
þat * man * sat * er (*) ek * sæhe * at fe * uar * ført * a brot * þrim * notom * uar fe * brôt * ført * hæltr * æn þæir br(e) hôh þ(e)na

Þat mun satt, er ek segi, at fé var fœrt á brott. Þrim nóttum var fé brott fœrt, heldr en þeir bryti haug þenna.

That which I say will be true, that wealth was brought away. Wealth was brought away three nights before they broke this mound.

5)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-5-Maeshowe-gravkammer-V
uemuntr ræist
Vémundr reist.
Vémundr carved.

7)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-7-Maeshowe-gravkammer-VII-1
otar fila ræist runar þisar
Óttarr "fila" reist rúnar þessar.
Óttarr "fila" carved these runes.

9)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-9-Maeshowe-gravkammer-IX
ingibiorh * hin fahra * æhkia
môrhk * kona * hæfer * faret * lu(t) in her mihgil oflate
ærlikr

Ingibjôrg, hin fagra ekkja. Môrg kona hefir farit lút inn hér. Mikill ofláti. Erlingr.
Ingibjôrg, the fair widow. Many a wife has travelled stooping in here. A great show-off. Erlingr.

10)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-10-Maeshowe-gravkammer-X-2
þorny sarþ
hælhe ræist

Þorný sarð. Helgi reist.
Þorny fucked. Helgi carved. (Sorry... it's what it says)

18)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-18-Maeshowe-gravkammer-XVIII
arnfiþr matr ræist= =runar þæsar mæþ * þæiri øhse * er ate * kôukr * trænils| |sonr fyrir * sunan lant
Arnfinnr Matr reist rúnar þessar með þeiri øxi, er átti Gaukr Trandils sonr fyrir sunnan land.
Arnfinnr Food carved these runes with the axe, belonging to Gaukr Trandill’s son in the south of the country. (Iceland)

20)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-20-Maeshowe-gravkammer-XX
þisar runar
rist sa maþr * er * runstr er * fyrir
uæstan haf

Þessar rúnar.
reist sá maðr, er rúnstr er fyrir
vestan haf.

These runes.
Carved by the man, who is most rune-skilled
In the western ocean.

My favourite rune carving... which I unfortunately can't find pictures for is the "Ingigerþ... the most beautiful woman in the world"... it sounds so sweet... but then you see the crude drawing of a dog panting and you realise it wasn't so innocent. Haha!
Back to top Go down
https://oldnorse.forumotion.com
Samitheyoung
Stranger - Útlendingr

PostSubject: I presume these are Younger runes?   Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Sveinn wrote:
I remember my trip to Mæshowe...
The sight I was to behold... so many runic inscriptions. Some enlightening... and some hilarious!
The rune carvings in Mæshowe really warm the heart as you learn how 1000 years makes no difference... human beings have always been the same... nothing ever changes. Haha...

Here are a few...

Mæshowe Runes
1)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-1-Maeshowe-I
Transliteration: þat ir uikin=kr ... –a= =kom utir hir til
Transcription: Þat er víkingr ... [þ]á kom undir hér til.
Translation: That is a Viking… then came here underneath.

2)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-2-Maeshowe-gravkammer-II
?o=lfr ko=lbæins so=nr ræest= =ru=nar þesa=r haut
Eyjúlfr Kolbeins sonr reist rúnar þessar hátt.
Eyjulfr Kolbeinn's son carved these runes high.

3)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-3-Maeshowe-gravkammer-III
þorer fomir
Þórir fómir

4)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-4-Maeshowe-gravkammer-IV
þat * man * sat * er (*) ek * sæhe * at fe * uar * ført * a brot * þrim * notom * uar fe * brôt * ført * hæltr * æn þæir br(e) hôh þ(e)na

Þat mun satt, er ek segi, at fé var fœrt á brott. Þrim nóttum var fé brott fœrt, heldr en þeir bryti haug þenna.

That which I say will be true, that wealth was brought away. Wealth was brought away three nights before they broke this mound.

5)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-5-Maeshowe-gravkammer-V
uemuntr ræist
Vémundr reist.
Vémundr carved.

7)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-7-Maeshowe-gravkammer-VII-1
otar fila ræist runar þisar
Óttarr "fila" reist rúnar þessar.
Óttarr "fila" carved these runes.

9)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-9-Maeshowe-gravkammer-IX
ingibiorh * hin fahra * æhkia
môrhk * kona * hæfer * faret * lu(t) in her mihgil oflate
ærlikr

Ingibjôrg, hin fagra ekkja. Môrg kona hefir farit lút inn hér. Mikill ofláti. Erlingr.
Ingibjôrg, the fair widow. Many a wife has travelled stooping in here. A great show-off. Erlingr.

10)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-10-Maeshowe-gravkammer-X-2
þorny sarþ
hælhe ræist

Þorný sarð. Helgi reist.
Þorny fucked. Helgi carved. (Sorry... it's what it says)

18)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-18-Maeshowe-gravkammer-XVIII
arnfiþr matr ræist= =runar þæsar mæþ * þæiri øhse * er ate * kôukr * trænils| |sonr fyrir * sunan lant
Arnfinnr Matr reist rúnar þessar með þeiri øxi, er átti Gaukr Trandils sonr fyrir sunnan land.
Arnfinnr Food carved these runes with the axe, belonging to Gaukr Trandill’s son in the south of the country. (Iceland)

20)
Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Br-BARNES-20-Maeshowe-gravkammer-XX
þisar runar
rist sa maþr * er * runstr er * fyrir
uæstan haf

Þessar rúnar.
reist sá maðr, er rúnstr er fyrir
vestan haf.

These runes.
Carved by the man, who is most rune-skilled
In the western ocean.

My favourite rune carving... which I unfortunately can't find pictures for is the "Ingigerþ... the most beautiful woman in the world"... it sounds so sweet... but then you see the crude drawing of a dog panting and you realise it wasn't so innocent. Haha!
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

PostSubject: Re: Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!   Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 8:00 pm

They are indeed the younger futhark... some of these carvings are supposedly from the 12th century.
Back to top Go down
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
* Faroese Speaker *
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði

PostSubject: Re: Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!   Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 6:05 pm

I have once tried to learn the younger futhark, but found there to not be enough characters for my need. I imagine though, that it is used much like here where i and e are the same rune etc.

I must say though, I can translate a lot of the transilerations just ffrom knowing Faroese. Which language was it that used the Elder Futhark? Proto-norse?
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

PostSubject: Re: Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!   Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Well, as these runes are from the 11th century, there has been a slight evolution. Thus, it's not quite the traditional younger futhark. So there are different runes for E and I. (basically E is just like I but has a dot or dash in the center) If you look at the third picture, you should see a very slight carved out chunk in the middle of what appears to be an Ís rune.

And yes, Proto-Norse was the language used with the Elder Futhark. But Proto-Germanic was used with Elder Futhark in the early days. Razz

Proto-Norse would have been a wonderful language to reconstruct... absolutely incredible but unfortunately there just isn't anywhere near enough source material.
Back to top Go down
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
* Faroese Speaker *
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði

PostSubject: Re: Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!   Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Another question: Do you have any tutorials on reading these? I don't have much trouble once the runic writing is reconstructed into Romanised characters, but reading them is more trouble. I think the best place to start would be with this one:

http://www.arild-hauge.com/raa-se/Br-BARNES-5-Maeshowe-gravkammer-V.jpg

(purely because it's one of the clearest carvings)
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

PostSubject: Re: Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!   Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:13 pm

I think it's very difficult to study the runes if you don't know where to look or what to read... the main problem is, so much material written on the runes is ignorant drivel. Especially any book that mentions "Celtic runes" or "The Rune of Destiny" these are the main signs of a work of absolute skít.
I don't think I can safely recommend any source to you that will be 100% factually accurate, because I haven't had good experiences with any of these sources. But I can teach you, because it's fairly simple.
Back to top Go down
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
* Faroese Speaker *
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði

PostSubject: Re: Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!   Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 pm

I can read Elder, as I probably said before, but younger is more difficult to me, purely because I haven't learnt it. However, I can't quite place some of the ones I do know in the example I quoted above.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!   Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar! Empty

Back to top Go down

Mæshowe in the Orkneyjar!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Norse Tongue :: Other Languages - Útlenskur :: Runic Norse-
Jump to: