Old Norse Tongue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to revive, restore and reconstruct the Old Norse tongue!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Velkomin - Welcome

Go down 
+24
Azula
stroud
Occident
Eir
abcdefghijklmnop
ShieldmaidenEvermind
Eikarkonan
Troels
Melissa Love
Spellsword95
Kvasir
Duggan
Ásleikr
Tora
ingwibergo
Kvífa Úlfheiðr Djármadagr
Bruni
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
Hyrningr
Josteinn
johanpeturdam
Áskatla
Sveinn
Jørundr Krákrinn
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jørundr Krákrinn
Moderator - Stýrimaðr
Jørundr Krákrinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Welcome to the Old Norse Tongue Forum. Our aim is to revive, restore and reconstruct the Old Norse Tongue as a functioning Modern Language. Here's your first port of call on our journey to this ends. In this topic you will greet your fellow forum users, in whichever language you choose, so that you can immediately become part of our community. To start it all off. I'm Jørundr Krákrinn (or Joe if you're being boring) and I'm a moderator.

Last edited by Sveinn on Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put 'out' instead of 'our' no biggie. Haha...)
Back to top Go down
http://trololololololololololo.com
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 1:45 am

Heil all! I'm Sveinn Fjǫlnirsson, the one who set up this forum. It has long been my dream to bring back Old Norse to the 21st century. A difficult task perhaps? I'd say challenging at least, but if the Vatican City still claims Latin for an official language, then why should there not be a language for a community of viking enthusiasts, viking age re-enactors, norse polytheists, followers of the old way, Icelanders, Norwegians, Danes, Swedes, Faroe Islanders, and other folk with a keen interest in history? Odinn

Far vel!
Back to top Go down
https://oldnorse.forumotion.com
Áskatla
Moderator - Stýrimaðr
Áskatla

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Hei! I'm Áskatla or Áska for short! Smile I'm Sveins other half and also a moderator on this wonderful new forum Laughing

Velkomin!

Smile
Back to top Go down
johanpeturdam
* Faroese Speaker *
johanpeturdam

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Hey there. I'm a Faroese person. Not really a language revival enthusiast, but am happy to help anyway that I can.
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Takk fyri, Johan. We appreciate your support. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Josteinn
Stranger - Útlendingr
Josteinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Heil, I'm Jesse uhm soon to be twenty years old.
The name Jostein was given to me by a really good friend, you know who you are.
I life in the Netherland not the best country but it’s ok.
I like history, nostalgia, music, obscure things.
And I’m really interested in the old Viking culture.
I currently have two music projects, first one is black metal band with a other guy, and second is a one man project with a lot of styles.
I joined this forum to learn this long died language and try helping to bring it back.
And I’m already excusing for my all of spelling mistakes, I am a dyslectic guy.
I'm doing my best not to make any mistakes.
Cheers!
Odinn
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 1:58 am

Josteinn wrote:
Heil, I'm Jesse uhm soon to be twenty years old.
The name Jostein was given to me by a really good friend, you know who you are.
I life in the Netherland not the best country but it’s ok.
I like history, nostalgia, music, obscure things.
And I’m really interested in the old Viking culture.
I currently have two music projects, first one is black metal band with a other guy, and second is a one man project with a lot of styles.
I joined this forum to learn this long died language and try helping to bring it back.
And I’m already excusing for my all of spelling mistakes, I am a dyslectic guy.
I'm doing my best not to make any mistakes.
Cheers!
Odinn

Heill Jósteinn Frísrinn!
Velkominn! Welkom!
Trouwens... Nederland IS het beste land in de wereld! Háhá!
And also... I love the good use of the Oðinn smilie Odinn
Back to top Go down
Hyrningr
Stranger - Útlendingr
Hyrningr

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Dea-iarnóin.

My name is Harmen and I'm a good friend of Jesse. He is also the one that introduced me to this forum. I'm very intrested in the Viking culture and the Old Norse mythology. Although I don't speak any nordic languages yet, I'm willing to learn them.

Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 4:04 pm

Welkom!

Well this is the mother of all Nordic languages... so if you learn this, you will be able to learn Norwegian, Icelandic, Faroese, Danish and Swedish quite easily.
Back to top Go down
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
* Faroese Speaker *
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Gottkvøld tit!

I am James, using my slightly tongue-in-cheek Faroese name! I learn Faroese (with many many thanks to Johan Petur for the help!), so I can do an ok job at reading old Norse and Icelandic.
Back to top Go down
Bruni
Stranger - Útlendingr
Bruni

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Hei Vikingr!!   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Bruni and I'm very very much with you when it comes down to reviving the Old Norse language. Its sounds so beautiful and ive tried to learn it by myself for a while without alot of success. For my work I am a Viking interpreter and it would really be wonderful to actually speak old norse to the public and eventually teach other Vikings it so that we could have a Viking conversation, imagine . . wouldnt that be brilliant round an open fire in the Winter!!

I am really eager to learn and will lend my support 110%.

Takka

Bruni Bjornsdottir ]:[I)
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Vau!
That's put some real fire in this project! Thank you!
Velkomin indeed!
Back to top Go down
Stranger - Útlendingr

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Heil   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Hej I am Kvífa Úlfheiðr Djármadagr, real name Laura (The Norseised name is from a Chosen Middle name Caoimhe). I am studying a degree in Modern foreign languages, but my interests include ancient languages. I am of Irish decent from an area where the norse men visited. I am quite enthusiastic about the project but i often am busy with other commitments, I will put in as much as I can.

Greetings everyone!

Kvífa

study Bookworm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.plutoniumforge.com
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
* Faroese Speaker *
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Eg komi aftur! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ingwibergo
Stranger - Útlendingr
ingwibergo

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptySun May 08, 2011 6:27 am

Hello there!

It's been years since my Old Norse class at UW-Madison. but I'm still interested in Scandinavian linguistics and language history...especially from Sweden's perspective. (Iceland wasn't the only place where Norsemen lived and talked, despite the impression some courses give you... Wink ) I'll probably spend most of my time in the East Norse and mythology groups, though I'm glad to help anyone else who needs it. Take care!
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptySun May 08, 2011 6:49 am

Great to have you on board! Very Happy
Like I've said in the past, other projects such as a reconstruction of Old East Norse would have been great, but as you may know... there just aren't enough sources to achieve this.
Back to top Go down
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
* Faroese Speaker *
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:17 am

Vælkomin til, vinurin!

Nice to have another person on board our longboat of language!
Back to top Go down
Tora
* Norwegian Speaker *

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Heil frændarnir(?)!

My name is Victoria - short: Tora, I live in Norway and am passionately in love with my language. I'm trying to learn ON at the time, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute in the forum eventually. I'll probably have loads of questions, so bear with me! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 am

Heil Tora!

It is great to see that there are still some people who are interested in my project. Smile
You know the name Tora sounds a lot like the Old Norse name "Þóra" is this maybe why you
prefer the name Tora in the first place? Odinn

It's really great to have you in our project!

And to help with your greeting, if "frændi" is 'friend', then 'friends' is "frændr" Smile
So you could say "Heil, frændr!" or "Heil, frændrnir" (I know it looks strange but it's right. XD)

Mostly, we've been using the word "vinr" for friend, with "vinir" as 'friends'. But frændi is a great word!
More like "kinsman" perhaps than "friend". Maybe now I will use frændi more often. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tora
* Norwegian Speaker *

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 am

Great, Þakka! I realised after I'd posted that my "frændarnir" probably would mean something like "Hi the friends!" With the article, am I right? Haha. Anyway, vinir sounds better to me also, as it is closer to our norwegian "venn" / "venner"

Oh, and I do indeed prefer Tora (instead of Vicki) because it has more of a norse "schwung" to it. The english part of my family calls me "Tor" which absolutely does not go in Norway as it is a common boy's name. So Tora it is. I grew up with the stories of the norse gods, and up until I was quite big actually believed it was Thor with his Mjølner who made the thunderstorms. So maybe when I get my Þ-key I'll start using Þóra instead. Very Happy

So again, thanks for the help, and I'm really glad to see someone is actually trying to make this beautiful language come back to life!
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Well, the article has a slightly different use. Frændrnir does mean "the friends", but whether or not it sounds weird is something that we can discuss in the project later... I know that some things you can say in Old Norse, don't sound normal in a literal English translation...

Like "Frændrnir minn" which in English would be "My the friends" which doesn't work... we'd say "My friends" normally obviously.
But I think "minn" is not "my"... but more like "of mine". So it's "the friends of mine". It's something to think about...

Anyways, it's probably easier just to say "Heil, vinir!" or "Heil, frændr!"

Well, you'll fit in just perfectly here... a lot of us still DO believe that Þórr makes the thunderstorms. Some of us, like me, are Ásatrúar, you see. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ásleikr
Stranger - Útlendingr
Ásleikr

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Hei ǫllum !
Ek heit Ásleikr, ok ek em einn norðmann frá Ásleikbekk. Læra at tala á norrœnu vilja ek gjarna, ok því em ek komminn har um þan þing. Auðvitat vil ek reyna at skrifa at eins á norrœnu, þótt skal þat vera erfitt... Ek meina, þarf ek at [æfa] sik lítt.

Ek hef ok [áhuga] einkum á hljóðkerfisfrœði...

(Í meðal "[" ok "]" skrifa ek íslenzkir orð, at ek kenna eigi á norrœnu... Sá kunnuð þér hjálpa mér !)

Þakka fyrir !
Back to top Go down
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði
* Faroese Speaker *
Auðvarðr Hinn Rauði

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 3:18 pm

I also know that in Faroese, referring to someone as "vinurin" is completely acceptable and the closest English equivalent is "my friend". So that reads entirely normally for me in ON as well.

Greetings to our two new members! Ásleikr, you appear to speak ON very well already!
Back to top Go down
Sveinn
Admin - Ármaðr
Sveinn

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Heill Ásleikr!
Firstly, I welcome you to the project. Your enthusiasm and knowledge of Old Norse is invaluable! Very Happy I must say, I'm very impressed with the level of your Norse already! :O Not seen anyone try and do such a long post in complete Old Norse (Icelandic excused. :P)

But maybe I can give you a few hints to help you. Odinn
Verbs like Heita and Hafa end in "i" when in the first person singular form... so "Ek heiti" and "Ek hefi". Also, usually when introducing yourself... you say your name first to place emphasis... "Ásleikr heiti ek." Unless, you deliberately wanted emphasis on I... for example the quote from that famous film, Spartacus "EK heiti Spartakus" :P

Norðmann is accusative... the verb "vera" takes a complement instead of an accusative noun... which means you only need to use the nominative which is "Norðmaðr". The word "einn" doesn't usually mean "a" or "an" (the indefinite article) like it would in German "ein" or Dutch "een" etc. it is mostly used just as "one"... so to say "I am one Norwegian" sounds a bit strange... because you think "Well, he's not going to be two Norwegians." XD So it's best to say "Ek em norðmaðr".

I know Ásleikbekk is a place name... but depending on what noun "bekk" is... determines what form it should take in the Dative case which "frá" requires.... it could be Ásleikbekk as you wrote... but I guess it would be Ásleikbekki. Smile

Good idea with using modern Icelandic words for Norse words you can't find. Wink I do that all the time... I can't find a cognate for "æfa" but I think "drýgja" can be used for "practise"... And you don't always need to have the particle "at" before an infinitive in written Norse, so you could put "Þark ek drýgja sik lítt"

Áhuga you can probably get away with... Hljóðkerfisfrœði might work in Icelandic... as sound-system-study but in Old Norse it means "sound-bundle-study XD... so maybe for phonology you could say language-sound-study? Málhljóðsfrœði?

That's all I can think of... I have also recently decided that "Þakka ek" or just "Þakka" might be more traditionally Old Norse than "Þakka fyrir" which is perhaps more modern. This is just speculation though. Smile Hope that helped! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ásleikr
Stranger - Útlendingr
Ásleikr

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Þakka fyr hjǫlp !

Þykkir "hef" kann ok svá nytask... Alvíssmál :

Quote :
hef ek víða ratat

Ok í bók "An Introduction to Old Norse" er þat svá skrifatt.
Ek hygg "frá Ásleikbekk" er júr réttlig mynd... Frá PG *bankiz.

Sannliga líka ek þat eigi, at norrœna er sem íslenzka, ok vilja ek ekki nyta íslenzkir orð... Þat sé blítt, um nyttisk austnorrœnu orð...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Velkomin - Welcome Empty
PostSubject: Re: Velkomin - Welcome   Velkomin - Welcome Empty

Back to top Go down

Velkomin - Welcome
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Norse Tongue :: General - Almenniligr :: Welcome - Velkomin-
Jump to: