Old Norse Tongue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our aim is to revive, restore and reconstruct the Old Norse tongue!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Syntax of the article

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kvasir
Stranger - Útlendingr

Syntax of the article Empty
PostSubject: Syntax of the article   Syntax of the article EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 pm

I’d like to learn more about the article in Old Norse.

So far I’m aware that it serves to mark an object as definite and that it was not completely grammaticalized in Old Norse (that is the manuscripts display variations in its use). Thanks to Heusler I know that it is used ‘more scarcely than in modern Germanic languages’ (which evidently presumes that I am well acquainted with all the other Germanic languages) in particular, konungr, jarl and some others usually don’t have an article.

Nygaard seems to offer a more detailed explanation, but I don’t understand it at all.

And a related question on the detached article. As far as I understand, the article is detached if and only if it stands before an adjective. On the other hand I’ve seen examples where an adjective modifies a noun with a suffixed article. Which case is more common? Is there any difference in meaning?

Back to top Go down

Syntax of the article
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Norse Tongue :: Old Norse - Norrœna :: Grammar-
Jump to: